Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections.
Since our founding in 2004 by computer scientists, our non-partisan organization has acted on the belief that the integrity and strength of our democracy relies on citizens’ trust that each vote is counted as cast. Our team includes nationally-recognized subject matter experts on election integrity and the responsible use of technology in our elections. In the ever-shifting world of election security, where new threats or challenges can emerge at any time, we are working for voters to help guide elections toward greater accuracy, security, and verifiability.
Examples of our work include:
- Providing advice and assistance to election officials around the country, helping them implement election security best practices like robust post-election audits.
- Helping advocates, researchers, the media, and the public understand the nuts and bolts of how votes are cast and counted.
- Advocating for strong election security measures that address legitimate vulnerabilities in our elections – including paper ballots, risk-limiting audits, and alternatives to dangerously risky internet voting proposals.
- Cultivating relationships with policymakers and grassroots organizers across the country to ensure that legislation and regulations help give the public justified confidence in election outcomes
- Developing assets including the most comprehensive publicly-accessible database of voting systems used around the country (The Verifier), background information on election equipment, voter education resources, and archives of news and publications on election technology.
In a democracy, the citizens must have the capacity to hold their government accountable, which requires an electoral system that is inclusive and secure for all. Election technology must enable democratic principles.
We tailor our strategies according to research, data and analysis, and we share our analysis publicly. We strive to disseminate our work in a timely manner.
We collaborate within our team and with other organizations to build trusting and respectful relationships. Together, we work more effectively to support and protect democracy.
We base our work on evidence, technical rigor, and clarity about what is not yet known. Our credibility depends on our ability to find realistic solutions to the problems facing our democracy.
We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table, and we create an environment for all voices to be heard.