Verified Voting’s mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections.
Since its founding, our team, Board of Directors, and Board of Advisors have been leading experts on relevant issues in election technology. Our collective technical knowledge has been foundational in understanding where vulnerabilities lie in our elections and in promoting policies and best practices that mitigate risks.
We work to understand other experts in the field – experts in election administration because context matters for policy recommendations, experts in diverse voter experiences because not every voter has access to the ballot in the same way, and experts in voter outreach and education because ultimately this work is done for voters. The U.S. has moved toward broader and fairer access to voting, but not without contention and backlash. In this struggle, we are not neutral: we stand with voters. We repudiate attacks on voting rights couched as security measures and believe that security, resilience, and verifiability are integral to free and fair elections. And we recognize that some uses of election technology can systematically disenfranchise voters with disabilities, rural voters, and voters of color.
We work with election officials, policymakers, and democracy defenders across party lines to help voters vote and to promote policies that support justified public confidence in elections.
Our Vision & Strategy
Our vision is that all voters are able to cast an effective ballot without barriers; that voters can have justified confidence that their votes were counted as cast; and that ultimately, foundational democratic principles are upheld. Our strategy is to advocate for and support practices that make election results trustworthy, and to amplify information that protects our elections from direct and/or propagandistic attack. Examples of our work include:
- Working with election officials— democracy’s frontline workers — and serving as technical and procedural expert advisors to drive effective change.
- Giving the public direct access to data and information about election technology and security because we believe that transparency engenders trust.
- Partnering with voting rights groups, because no voter should be disenfranchised by flawed technology and implementation policies.
- Working with lawmakers and other policymakers because we can provide expertise, testimony, and advocacy for sound technology policy decisions.
- Being a go-to resource for the media, advocates, and researchers with our solid data, robust understanding of the election space, and our in-depth expertise on audits and technology.
In a democracy, the citizens must have the capacity to hold their government accountable, which requires an electoral system that is inclusive and secure for all. Election technology must enable democratic principles.
We tailor our strategies according to research, data and analysis, and we share our analysis publicly. We strive to disseminate our work in a timely manner.
We collaborate within our team and with other organizations to build trusting and respectful relationships. Together, we work more effectively to support and protect democracy.
We base our work on evidence, technical rigor, and clarity about what is not yet known. Our credibility depends on our ability to find realistic solutions to the problems facing our democracy.
We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table, and we create an environment for all voices to be heard.